WMU hockey

Western Michigan Hockey earned five out of six possible points this weekend against the Miami (OH) RedHawks. They are now 3-8-3 on the season. The Broncos won the first game in dominant fashion, winning 4-1 on Friday night and earned a tie on Saturday night through overtime, winning 2-0 in the shootout.

The Broncos had a lot of ups and downs during the Saturday contest.

WMU started the game strong with a well played first period. Even though the period ended tied 0-0, the Broncos looked better than the RedHawks. WMU outshot Miami on goal eight to four and won more faceoffs as the Broncos won 12 while Miami only won eight.

The second period was not such a hot one for the Broncos as they were outshot eight to 15 and were outplayed physically. Miami was able to take a 1-0 lead over the Broncos by the end of the period thanks to Miami keeping the puck in WMU’s zone for a good portion of the period.

WMU had a shaky third period with a lot of good and some bad. Right out of the gate within the first minute of the period, Miami scored to take a 2-0 lead over the Broncos. The Broncos would go on to respond with a power play goal by Ty Glover to make it a 2-1 game with 12 minutes remaining in regulation.

Shortly after the Broncos made it a one goal game, Miami answered with a goal to make it a 3-1 deficit for the Broncos about halfway through the period. However, within 13 seconds the Broncos responded with a goal from Jamie Rome, scoring his first collegiate goal, to make it a 3-2 deficit for WMU. A few minutes later, Ronnie Attard would score to tie it up 3-3 for the Broncos. WMU would end up outshooting the RedHawks 13-7 in the third.

A winner would not be able to be determined in regulation so the contest would head into overtime. During the overtime period, the Broncos were able to generate more offensive chances than Miami, but that still wouldn’t be enough and the game would head into a shootout.

The Broncos would end up dominating the RedHawks in the shootout round of the contest, defeating them 2-0 to take two out of the three points for the night.

WMU goaltender Alex Aslanidis finished the night with a career high in saves with 25, earning 14 of them in the second period.

The series was overall a fairly good one for the Broncos, as they were able to get more shot opportunities on net which generated goals. Over the last two games, WMU outshot Miami 71- 45 to score a total of seven goals. WMU was also finally able to answer adversity when being down late in the second game by forcing overtime, then a shootout and managed to earn more points than its opponents which has been a struggle for them all season long.

If the Broncos hope to stay on a positive trend, they must keep outshooting their opponents, make quality scoring chances and be able to show up and play strong, physical hockey in the third period.

WMU’s next test will be taking on the No. 6 St. Cloud State Huskies next Friday and Saturday at home. Both games are scheduled for 7:05 p.m. puck drops.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.