Western Michigan men's basketball has canceled Wednesday's game at Notre Dame due to positive COVID-19 tests within the program.
WMU athletic director Kathy Beauregard first told Tony Paul of the Detroit News and confirmed to the Western Herald that there have been a "couple" of positive tests within the program and several other players are in quarantine due to contact tracing.
The Broncos would not have had enough players available to play the Fighting Irish.
The cancellation is the second game lost this season for WMU, which was scheduled to play last Saturday at Division III Trine before that game was called off because of COVID issues at Trine.
A WMU press release said there are currently no plans to make up the Notre Dame game.
Western Michigan has been able to play just one nonconference game so far this season when it lost to Butler last Wednesday, 66-62 in Clayton Bates' debut in his first season as head coach of the program.
A day after that game, Butler paused team activities due to a COVID-19 positive result detected in its Tier 1 personnel, defined as players, coaches and support staff. The Bulldogs have canceled three games since the positive result and aren't scheduled to play again until Dec. 14.
The Broncos are next scheduled to play Sunday at Michigan State, which seems to be in jeopardy. Beauregard said she is hopeful the team will be able to play the Spartans in what is scheduled for a 6 p.m. tipoff on BTN.