COVID-19 Mask

The first thought that went through my head was, ‘Are they really going to put that in my nose?’

I was on the phone scheduling a procedure with a receptionist when she told me I needed to be tested for COVID-19. I saw how they conducted the test on a video and that made me feel nervous.

I told my mom, who laughed at me because she knew I was going to hate it. I scheduled my test in the earliest slot available so I could be done as quickly as possible. 

On Monday, I had to have the test done. It was raining, which did not improve my mood about having to do this.

When I arrived at the testing site, cones were set up to direct the traffic going through. Surprisingly, the site was almost dead. There were a total of three cars in front of me.  

I pulled up to where they designated to stop until a worker waved me to move forward. Two white tents were there, one for check in, then another for the actual testing. 

When I drove up to the first tent, the worker asked for my last name, first name and why I was having the test done. She misheard me and thought I said my first name was Logan, and she laughed. 

The workers seemed to be in a good mood despite what was happening, which made me feel more relaxed about the test. She asked me some more basic questions.

“Have you been out of the country in the last few months?” She asked.

“No, I haven’t,” I told her.

“Have you had any COVID related symptoms?”


“Have you been in contact with anyone who’s been exposed to COVID?”


She gave me a sticker with my name and birthday on it and another worker pointed me to the other tent, where I drove straight through it. 

About 10 workers were inside the tent. One of them came up to my car as I rolled my window down for her and handed her the sticker I was given.

After confirming the information was correct on the sticker, she went back and grabbed a swab, which was in a bag with a yellow caution tag on it. She seemed to be in a good mood as well, probably because their shifts were coming to an end. 

“Can you lean your head back and tilt your head to me?” The worker asked me, “I’m going to try to make this as fast as possible.”

She slid the swab into my left nostril. I didn’t feel anything at first until she pushed it further. Then, my nose started to burn and my eyes began to water.

Like the worker said, she was going to make it as fast as possible. The test was over before I even realized she removed the swab from my nose.

“And you’re done,” she said as she pulled the swab out of my nose. 

I saw the swab and it looked no different. It didn’t seem like I just took the test by how fast it was. It was easier than I anticipated.

She took my test somewhere before she came back with a thermometer and took my temperature. My nose was still burning and my eyes were still watering so I couldn’t properly pay attention to what she was doing.

I was free to drive off after that. The worker waved at me as I made my way out of the tent. My nose burned for an hour after my test.

My test came back negative. I knew I wasn’t going to test positive, but hearing my results relaxed my mind. It made me realize how serious I still need to take this pandemic. I still need to take the same precautions, even if I tested negative. I need to social distance, wear my face covering and wash my hands often. I also realized being swabbed through the nose was not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.