Playing a doubleheader, the WMU men’s tennis team defeated Cleveland State and Aquinas College at West Hills Athletic Club this Friday. The win puts the Bronco at 5-3 this season.
Starting out with the loss in doubles to Cleveland State, the team overcame their struggle and won five out of six singles matches.
“Everyone tries their best in every match and everyone tries to support other guys,” said Freshman Rubin Greiner.
Ross VanderPloeg and Nadin Indre played close singles matches, with their opponents playing with intense aggression and power. Despite their struggle, both players overcame their opponents and won. Indre won his first set, 6-3, but lost his second set 1-6. Then, in an exciting, nail biting third set, Indre battled his way to 7-5, with a win.
With an impressively played tennis match, #4 singles player Greiner dominated his Cleveland State opponent with a final score of 6-0, 6-0.
“I play aggressively every time,” said Greiner. “I had 1 or 2 unforced errors.”
Greiner said his opponent, Vanmeter, struggled to play against aggression.
“He’s not comfortable with that,” Greiner said.
From Wiesbaden, Germany, Greiner talked a little about how he chose to play at Western Michigan.
“I was in an agency in Germany and coach [Morin] found my profile and video and he was impressed by my game,” Greiner said.
Greiner chose Western Michigan not only for the great guys on the team, but also for location.
“I like the school very much and it’s close to Chicago and Detroit,” he said.
After the Cleveland State match and before the Aquinas match, Greiner was optimistic about the double header.
“I think doubleheaders are really hard, but I like when I’m in a good mood and good shape,” he said. “You can have success.”
And success he had.
“It’s a big win for us against a quality team,” said Coach Dave Morin. “We’re going to have to get back to working on our doubles.”
Final Score: WMU 5, Cleveland State 2
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Jorg van der Vloet (CLEST) 6-3, 1-6, 7-5
2. Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) def. Matt Kuelker (CLEST) 6-4, 7-6, (7-5)
3. Ali Shabib (CLEST) def. Aaron Wong (WMU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Joe VanMeter (CLEST) 6-0, 6-0
5. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Nolan Marks (CLEST) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. NiklasJonsson (CLEST) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 6-4
Ali Shabib/Niklas Jonsson (CLEST) def. Nadin Indre/Ross VanderPloeg (WMU) 8-5
Joe VanMeter/Nolan Marks (CLEST) def. Aaron Wong/Andrew Cahn (WMU) 8-7 (8-6)
Matt Kuelker/Matt Ford (CLEST) def. Rubin Greiner/Stephen Payne (WMU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,3,5,1,2,6)
Final Score: WMU 6, Aquinas College 1
1. Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Aaron Hendrick (AQMT) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ruben Greiner (WMU) def. Kristoff Saari (AQMT) 6-1, 6-2
3. Pablo Mora (WMU) def. Nik Artaev (AQMT) 6-2, 6-0
4. Andrew Cahn (WMU) def. Kyle Masteller (AQMT) 6-2, 6-2
5. Jim Beckwith (WMU) def. Andy Struble (AQMT) 6-3, 6-1
6. Frankie Fischer (AQMT) def. Marc Shideler (WMU) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0
1. Ross VanderPloeg/ Nadin Indre (WMU) def. Aaron Hendrick/Nik Artaev (AQMT) 8-5
2. Kristoff Saari/Andy Struble (AQMT) def. Aaron Wong/Andrew Cahn (WMU) 8-6
3. Ruben Greiner/Stephen Payne (WMU) def. Mike Sendor/Frankie Fischer (AQMT) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,5,2,1,4,6)