By Ambrosia Neldon
When I decided to attend school at Western Michigan University, one of my biggest concerns was that I would not fit in because of WMU’s “Wastern” reputation. I was worried that if I didn’t drink, I would have nothing to do outside of studying and going to class. For those of you sharing this concern, worry no more. In my three years at Western, I have never been bored.
I have also never been to a party.
WMU offers recreational activities for students of all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. Students with athletic backgrounds, academic backgrounds, artistic backgrounds, music backgrounds or even no specific background at all have plenty of opportunities to take a break from the books and have a little fun in their free time.
So, I have graciously offered a list of five things to do on campus that do NOT involve drinking.
1. ResLife Events – Because most incoming freshmen live in the dorms, a good place to look for fun is right at home. Each residence hall has a hall council that plans activities for their residents. Students can get involved in hall council to help plan these activities or simply partake in the activities once they have been planned. Residence Life also plans events throughout the year for anyone who lives in the dorms.
2. Sports! – Students interested in athletics can entertain this hobby on the field or on the sideline. A Bronco ID gets students into all WMU sporting events for free! There are also intramural sports teams for just about every sport imaginable, from ultimate Frisbee to flag football. Get involved at www.wmich.edu/rec/intramurals.
3. WSA Events – Campus Activities Board (CAB) and the Western Student Association (WSA) are large student groups on campus that plan activities and such for WMU students. While WSA is more geared toward the administrative side of planning, the organization offers several events each semester that allow students to get involved in their school.
4. CAB Events – CAB offers affordable events for students to get out of the books and have some fun on campus. CAB is most known on campus for their “Miller Movies” in which they play popular films that have not yet been released to DVD in WMU’s enormous Miller Auditorium. Each semester, CAB also brings a celebrity of sorts to host a concert at Miller Auditorium. Past artists/comedians have included artists like Ludacris, Boys Like Girls and Demetri Martin. And tickets are super cheap!
5. Theater! – WMU’s Miller Auditorium and University Theater host several plays, musicals, comedians and concerts each semester. Miller Auditorium hosts the bigger shows (Wicked, Last Comic Standing and Jersey Boys, to name a few) while University Theater hosts shows put on by students in the theater department.
This list doesn’t even begin to explain all of the fun things to do in Kalamazoo, but it’s easiest to start close to home, right? For students interested in venturing off campus, the Kalamazoo area offers lots of fun things to do at a discounted price for students as well.
But like I said, this is only a small portion of the list. For a full list of activities, visit www.discoverkalamazoo.org or www.wmich.edu/events.